Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Caramel Custard

Well I didn't get any candy made today. But.... I did make some caramel custards. Doesn't it look yummy? It really wasn't that hard. The hardest part was carmelizing the sugar. Then you have to be fast about putting it into the bowls, it cools fast. You can find a recipe for these in any cookbook, really. It's in the Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook (creme caramel). I couldn't find it in the Betty Crocker cookbook. But, it's basically a custard, with caramelized sugar on the bottom of the dish then let it sit for ten minutes before baking. When you invert the dish, the sauce comes out and spills around the custard. Don't be alarmed at what your pan looks like after carmalizing the sugar. I thought it would never come clean. I filled it up with water until I could wash it; and by the time I washed it (1/2 hour, maybe...) it was completely clean already! (I don't know if it's because I put water in it right away, or not, but...) I think I've been reading too many Martha Stewart Living magazines lately. Ah well... It's a good thing... ;)
Next up, we have two more pairs of slippers for Pine Ridge! YAY!! These are childrens' sizes. I hope to make some more. I may be joining a Charity Blitz thingamajiggy at Crochetville. It will be one day a week (or month, I forget- you can read about it though if you want to!) devoted to crocheting only charity items that are at Crochetville. I am in the Preemie Protectors, it is also a Yahoo Group. I'm also in the Crafting for a Cause group. It is a Yahoo group, but I put the link to the Crochetville page where I originally found it, since they are all supposed to be 'Crochetville based'. I also just joined the stashbusters, formed by Drew aka 'The Crochet Dude'. You can link to all these groups somewhere on these pages. Which brings me to my next picture, a 12" comfortghan square I am crocheting for the Stashbuster. It is Ribbons and Roses. The picture will not show up for me, I don't know about you. But.... you can see what it's beginning to look like, here. ;) Until next time... :)

2 comments:

Mimi said...

yummy, Tina! I dont know why I dont cook anymore, I still want to eat yummy stuff, but I detest cooking now. I'd rather sit down and crochet!

Tina said...

I feel like that most of the time, too. But, once in a while I get in a mood to make something (and then I take pictures...) :) Other times I get 'talked' into it... 'I want some cookies'...