Wednesday, February 06, 2008

House Plants

I am such a boring person... Talking about house plants. Well the Question of the Day on one of the yahoo groups I am on was, 'Do you have a green thumb?' and everyone started saying how many house plants they had... So I took a picture of some of mine... This one (I think) is a purple wandering jew. My friend gave me a cutting of one of hers.. (I still have two more cuttings of this in a jar. I also have a cutting from her, of a really pretty one that gets white flowers on it. Need to get potting soil, though...)
She also gave me this one, a Swedish Ivy (I think). These two plants survived the trip to our new house and the freeze overnight. (All my plants were in my car, and half of them died..) :( I'm glad these two made it, though.
My Jade plant (one of my FAVORITES) didn't do so good. This is whatis left of it... :( I cut off what still looked good and re"planted" it. You can see how well it was doing in this post. Well you can see part of it, anyway.
This is another one that is barely hanging on... My 'Christmas' Cactus. I had been looking through one of my cookbooks one day (it's an Amish cookbook) and it had recipes for things like cough syrup, furniture polish, stuff like that. Well one of them was for plant food. It had ammonia in it and I thought, 'That can't be right. It would kill the plant!' Don't you think? I can barely stand the smell of ammonia. But I googled some other homemade plant food recipes in case anyone is interested:Readers suggestions I don't know if I will use any of these or just go buy some plant food. I need to get potting soil, anyway... Recipezaar ~Here's another one. Have a Great Day everyone.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

Your plants look very promising Tina! keep on taking care of it, I'm sure they'll thrive. I love looking at plants, my favorite are cactuses...but I never took care of plants, I keep neglecting them.

Tina said...

I didn't take any pictures of my cactuses (except the Christmas Cactus. Which; incidentally, never blooms in December... the only time it bloomed was in the Spring!). I also have two cactuses that we have bought since we moved here. They are easy to take care of since you don't need to water them very often. ;)