Thursday, May 26, 2011

Apple or Rhubarb Rumble (Recipe)

I found the recipe for Rhubarb Rumble (I was right, you could use apples, too; for this recipe.. I can't believe I remembered that. :P)  So here it is, Paula. :)  I don't know where the recipe came from; a cookbook probably. I know I got it from my Mom. :)

Apple or Rhubarb Rumble

1 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup melted butter
4 cups diced rhubarb/apple
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla

Combine flour, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon and melted butter. Press half of the mixture into a greased 8" square baking pan and cover with rhubarb (or apples- or half and half?). Reserve remaining flour mixture. Combine sugar, water, cornstarch, and vanilla in a medium saucepan over moderate heat (medium). Cook, stirring constantly until thick. Pour over rhubarb and sprinkle with remaining flour mixture. Bake in a preheated 350* oven for one hour. 
(Apples or cherries may be substituted for the rhubarb)

3 comments:

paula said...

K*I*S*S*E*S being blown your way.

Now, to make the trip to the back forty, through Indy's bathroom to the rhubarb patch . . . .doesn't that sound great? Actually. our back yard is 45 feet deep and the rhubarb patch is one plant that my MIL put in . . LOLOL

But, now I have an excuse to make something with it.

THANKS SO MUCH ! ! ! ! !

paula said...

Copied down and ready to go . . WHOOOOO-HOOOOO ! ! ! ! !

Tina said...

You're welcome, Paula. I thought for sure I didn't even have the recipe any more. I was happy that I still do. :) I'm so jealous you have rhubarb!! Have fun making it. (And eating it) :D