Monday, April 06, 2009

Shrugs, Boleros, and Sweaters, Oh My...

I have been slowly trying to make more wearables for myself. I think the biggest thing(s) is(are): I am afraid I will fail, it will not come out the wrong size, look stupid on me, I won't feel comfortable wearing it... (sigh) Last night I spent probably an hour and a half looking through every crocheted sweater on Ravelry. I found a couple cute patterns I printed out: Ashlar Crochet Cardigan and Crochet Tie Top Front Then today I found another cute one I liked at Crochetville, I believe: Chevron Lace Cardigan Well I don't have enough money (no money at all, actually) to go buy the yarn to do any of these. So I tried to think what I had. Then I remembered five skeins of Lion Brand Microspun I bought (when we lived in Colorado, still~ that's how long I've had it). I had been going through all my magazines and printed patterns, and finally decided on the Short Sleeved Bolero pattern I have also had forever but never made... I am getting brave (?) enough and wanting enough to make things for myself so it is really fun, now. Not that it wasn't fun making all the above shrugs and boleros! I think I was just apprenhensive about the whole thing...

This is one I bought at Target a few years ago. (It is a maternity shrug, too~ Can you believe it? Maybe for someone who is teeny tiny when they are pregnant~~ I wasn't!!) I got it to try and copy another one from. But upon closer look when I got home, I noticed it is knitted, not crocheted. (I am not far enough along/experienced enough to do that with knitting!)

Here is my bolero so far!!:

I am excited. While I was crocheting I was thinking of other sweaters I wanted to do/colors I should do them in. I found one I really liked at Crochetville that I am totally going to hunt down the book so I can make one: Wraparound Sweater, from Readers Digest Big Book of Weekend Crochet. I found it on Amazon. I am going to order it soon. :P Then I remembered more yarn I had bought to make a sweater from a book I also bought with the yarn (to make the sweater in the book with). So I will have enough to keep me busy for a while. If only I could just finish my Central Park Hoodie. (I might finish it by the time I would wear it again, next fall....) I also have two balls (1000 yards each) of white size 10 crochet cotton I could make a shrug or bolero with. :P
Well have a Great Monday everyone. Going to go crochet some more!

2 comments:

Mimi said...

Those are lovely wearables Tina, you should wear them and be proud ;)
I also like the knitted shrug you bought.
While your on wearables, would you consider trying my latest shrug design? You could use size 10 thread for it...

Cherri said...

Tina, all of your shrugs are beautiful. You do great work on them. They are definitely something to be proud of. :)
Hugs, Cherri