Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Sewing

I've been doing some sewing lately..  We got a new bedspread set a few months ago (because we got a new bed/bedrom outfit, after 20 years of marriage Lol).  Well a couple weeks or so after we got it, I tried to wash it. This happened. :(  It's way too big for our washer. I had been meaning to try and fix it, because there is no way I'm going to waste more money buying a new one.

There is also two holes on the back side..

I measured past the hole, then cut out a piece of black fabric (it doesn't match but who cares?); folded down about 1/4 inch around the edges and ironed them flat, then pinned it on the bedspread.

Then I sewed it, by hand..  Took me a couple of hours (or less?). I wasn't really timing myself. I sat there and watched tv while I did it, so..  :)    You can't really even tell. Unless you get up right next to it and look. Now I just need to do the backside (maybe this weekend, who knows..) And then I can take it up to the laundry mat and wash it. :P

I also sewed a couple of pillowcases that kinda sorta match our bedspread.  We were in need of extra pillowcases, so I looked through my fabric to find something.  I actually had a paisley print I wanted to do but when I got everything out to actually sew it, I realized I didn't have enough of that. So I used a different fabric I did have enough of for the nine inch piece.. 

I think it looks better than the paisley print would have, with our bedspread. :)  I had enough fabric for two more pillowcases, too. I might make those for Evan and Jayce. Then I will have made pillowcases for all my kids. ;P

I also made some for my kids I sponsor on Pine Ridge. This one is for the little boy. I think he is 7 years old now. It's a crayon (Crayola, actually) fabric. I wanted to make them "Valentine Day" pillowcases, but Walmart doesn't have much selection for boys- for Valentines Day, anyway. Plus I wanted them to be able to use them all the time. So..

I picked this fabric out thinking the girls could use it anyday, too; maybe. I did two of this pillowcase, actually. I send things to two teenage girls.   I already bought some St. Patricks Day fabric, too. Lol. I'm going to be making pillowcases for every holiday. :P  They're fun to make. I think I posted a link on my blog here somewhere for the video tutorial I used for these, but I have no idea where it is, so..  Here it is again: Easy Tube Pillow Case Tutorial. Have fun!

No comments: