Saturday, June 22, 2019

Hello It's Me...

It's been a long time, I know... I joined a quilting group in town a couple months ago. And it has me going in circles. I just joined to meet ladies here, crochet, knit, and sew. Learn more about quilting and my sewing machine... Then  people asked me if I wanted to help with this charity, with that charity and do I want to join Quilts of Valor...  They make things for babies, make things for seniors, make beds and quilts for Sleep in Heavenly Peace.. Now I am going to meetings and group things three days a week, going home and sewing more.. I'm not enjoying it, it's stressing me out! I finally said something to a couple ladies, and they said to just wait/hold on. It's not usually this busy/crazy. This week was the 25th anniversary of the group. The News and Newspaper was there. A big huge picnic. (I made a dessert.)  The woman who founded the group got a certificate. She started the group 25 years ago, in her garage. (In the desert... That had to be fun.. Lol)   I took a Freshman Quilters Academy class. That was four weeks. Monday was the last day.  Then I volunteered to sew a bag for a fundraiser for Quilts of Valor. I've never sewn a bag before in my life. A couple ladies helped me. One sewed the topstitching on one side of the bag for me. And Thursday, another lady helped me with what to do next, what to do next...  And I actually finished it. And it looks nice. :D I'm so happy.

The inside is lined. We got a handout of the pattern, I think it's called Charming Going Green bag. I couldn't find it online. But this bag is very similar.  I have squares to do another one for the fundraiser, and squares halfway cut out for a third (that one is for Pine Ridge).   I never thought I would ever do any sewing again. I used to sew a lot-- Bears, bunnies, doll clothes, some clothes for our kids (shorts mostly). I sewed a couple quilts. I got the quilt I started for Eon when I was pregnant with him, out. I have one strip all sewed. I started sewing more squares. To finish it. But...  My squares now and the ones I sewed 17 years ago do not match. I think I was using a really big 1/4" seam, and was sewing some crooked and just left them.  So... I don't know what I will do with that strip.   Maybe frame it as bad quilting art. Lol. :P 
 
Next week is an awards ceremony for the Quilts of Valor group. I volunteered to make cookies, and I am going to be in charge of a table. I don't know what to do (about quitting the group).  I feel like they always want you to do more, more, more...  I can't even do everything at home and I feel like it's a part time job. (And I'm not even a secretary or in charge of anything!) One lady I was sitting next to on Thursday resigned from that group. (I don't blame her...)   I appreciate our veterans, and I think it's great what the Quilts of Valor group does for them. But I don't think I will EVER sew a quilt good enough to their specifications. I don't know. I am learning a lot with the group.    I will try to blog more, and keep you posted.

No comments: